by John Santana
Dating can be tough at any age, but it’s even harder when you’re older. Let’s be honest, the world has changed a lot in the past three or so years, which can make it difficult for older folks to find people who share common interests.
On top of that, as an older adult, you’re likely established in your life in a lot of ways (children, career, etc.), you know what you like and what you don’t like, and while you’re willing to try new things and are open to new experiences, for the most part, you know your limits and where you stand on certain issues.
Furthermore, you might not know where to find people your age that you could possibly date, or you may not have the time.
For the above reasons (and maybe more), dating really can be a struggle when you’re older; however, that doesn’t mean you have to give up hope. Technology has made dating for seniors easier than ever before, in particular, thanks to sites like Silver Singles.
Whether you’re a widow, widower, a divorcee, or you’ve been out of the dating pool for a while, but you’re ready to jump back in, if you’re 50 or over, Silver Singles may be the answer you’ve been looking for.
What is Silver Singles? How does it work? Is it really worthwhile? To find the answers to these questions and more, keep on reading. In this review, you’ll learn more about this online dating site for older folks and will be able to determine whether or not you want to give it a go.
Silver Singles At a Glance
- Exclusive database of singles ages 50+. Without a doubt, one of the biggest benefits of Silver Singles is that it is an online dating platform that is specifically intended for single men and women who are aged 50 and over. The singles on this site come from all walks of life and have varying interests and goals. Users hail from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Australia. Further adding to the ease of use is that Silver Singles can be accessed on a desktop or laptop via their website, or you can access via your mobile device on the platform’s official mobile app.
- User-friendly. Silver Singles is very user-friendly, which is definitely a plus for technologically-challenged singles. The interface is visually pleasing, yet it isn’t busy and overwhelming, and it is easy to navigate. Setting up a profile and if you decide, purchasing a membership is a cinch, too.
- Compatibility-orientated. In addition to the fact that Silver Singles is specifically for single men and women who are aged 50 and over, what really sets it apart from other dating sites is that it is compatibility-orientated. Users take an in-depth personality test that involves questions that pertain to their interests, their goals, their values, and other invaluable pieces of information that really describe who they are. The results of the compatibility tests are used to match users, as well as key filters that users may select. As such, Silver Singles members are more likely to find other singles who share common interests and who want the same things in life.
- The cost. While there is a free Basic membership, it only offers limited functionality. If you want to be able to send messages and see profile pictures of your suggested matches, you will need to purchase a membership. There are different membership options, but they’re based on the amount of time that you want to remain a site member. Prices are set according to the amount of time that you want to be a member; however, you don’t really get any advanced features the more you pay. We have to say that we wish that they would work on their pricing policies and subscription plans. That said, however, if you decide that you want to cancel your subscription, you can easily do so right from the website, and you can cancel free of charge.
- No location filter. While matching users based on their personalities is definitely a plus, the downside is that there isn’t a location filter. You can receive tons of great matches that you’re totally interested in, but they may live thousands of miles away. That’s a big downer.
- Reports about fake and scam profiles. We have read some reports about fake and scam profiles, which is a bit concerning; however, that doesn’t mean that you should completely avoid using the site. What it does mean, however, is that you should use your discretion and if you believe there is, don’t be afraid to ask or to report it.
- Specifically for older adults. Silver Singles is a dating and companionship site that was specifically designed for older adults.
- Personality testing. Silver Singles pairs users with like-minded individuals based on the results of their personality test results. This increases the chances that users will find companions and partners that share similar values and goals.
- Free membership option. Silver Singles offers a free membership option known as a Basic membership. This allows users to essentially “try before they buy” a Premium membership.
Why Try Silver Singles?
According to their website, Silver Singles is an online dating platform that offers “Romance and Fun with 50+”. It was specifically designed for the millions of single men and women over the age of 50 in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France, and Australia who are looking for companionship or long-lasting romance.
While there are tons of dating sites, the vast majority are either geared toward or are primarily used by a younger audience; in other words, they really aren’t compatible with older folks, as the community tends to be significantly younger.
The founders of the site came up with a solution and decided to launch a platform that is specifically geared toward men and women from all walks of life who are aged 50 and older.
According to Silver Singles, it’s one of the best dating sites for singles who are over 50 because the platform puts compatibility first. In other words, you aren’t just scrolling through images and picking people whose images appeal to you (though you certainly can go that route if you’d like).
Rather, the site is more focused on linking people up based on their personalities, goals, values, and other unique criteria. Furthermore, users can filter the community for a specific interest, such as mature dating and dating for older women.
The platform was first launched in 2002 as PrimeSingles.net, and in 2009, it was rebranded as Single Seniors Meet. It was rebranded again in 2011 as its current ideation: Silver Singles. The platform is available in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, France, and Australia.
How Does Silver Singles Work?
Silver Singles was specifically designed with ease of use in mind. Men and women aged 50 and older can join the platform via the app or the desktop website. The app can be downloaded free of charge via the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. You’ll then need to register and take a personality test.
When you’re registering your account, you will be asked to provide your sex, your sexual preference, and a valid email address. You’ll then be asked to create a password.
After you’ve registered your account, the next step is to complete a personality test. It takes about 25 minutes or so to complete the personality test, and according to the site, personality is the key to Silver Singles’ success rate because, as mentioned, the platform puts emphasis on users’ personalities and preferences when they’re matching people up.
The personality test was developed with the help of psychologists and relationship experts, and as such, it includes details that others who are aged 50 and over would likely be most interested in knowing about potential companions or mates.
The personality test is comprised of different sections. The questions on the test pertain to your communication style, your interests, your hobbies, and how you see relationships. Silver Singles then assesses the answers you provided on the personality test with other members and matches you according to your preferences, values, and goals.
If you’d prefer, you can share what it is that you are hoping to find in a match using filters, such as “older women dating” or “mature dating.
If you aren’t happy with the results of your personality test, don’t fret, because nothing is set in stone. You can retake the test if you’d like to; however, in order to do so, you will need to contact customer service. That said, customer service is very friendly, and from what we can tell, retaking the test is pretty simple.
You won’t be able to search Silver Singles to find your own matches; rather, the platform will show you an exclusive list of possible matches, which are selected according to the compatibility that was determined by the results of your personality test, as well as the features that you selected.
Your profile homepage on the platform will show you a list of matches, as well as a profile visitors list that will show you who has looked at your profile, messages from possible matches, and the profiles of users that you have yet to view.
Overall, getting yourself set up on Silver Singles is pretty simple and straightforward, which is definitely a plus.
How Much Does Silver Singles Cost?
Silver Singles offers a Basic membership, which is free. It offers limited access to the features the platform offers, user profiles, and different communication options. Basic members are able to receive suggestions for possible matches, see the results of their personality tests, upload photos, and send “smiles” and “likes” to other users.
If you’d like to take advantage of the more advanced features that Silver Singles offers, you will need to pay for a Premium membership. The cost for a Premium membership varies and depends on how many months you intend on using the site.
The price breakdown is as follows:
- 12-month membership = $24.95 a month
- 6-month membership = $34.95 a month
- 3-month membership = $44.95 a month
Whichever length of time you choose, as a Premium member, you will be able to take advantage of the following perks:
- You’ll receive a comprehensive analysis of personality test results
- You’ll receive unlimited access to other users’ profiles
- You’ll be able to read receipts in order to confirm if other members have viewed the messages you’ve sent
- You’ll receive access to all of the pictures of your recommended matches
- You’ll receive unlimited messaging with other users
If you sign up for and pay for a subscription and you decide that you do not want to cancel it, you can do so by completing an online cancellation form completely free of charge.
Silver Singles is a unique dating platform, as it is designed specifically for older adults (50 years and older) who are looking for companions or partners. Matches are made based on personality test results, which increases the likelihood that users will find others who share common goals and values.
Overall, it’s easy to use. There are dozens of success stories and a free membership option – and, if you decide to purchase a membership, you can cancel free of charge. If you’re 50 years or older, we recommend giving this platform a try.
- Best Los Angeles Hookup Apps & Sites For Fun Encounters - February 9, 2024
- Swap Finder Review: In-Depth Analysis of the Adult Dating Platform - February 2, 2024
- Smoke and Poke Review: Dating Site for Cannabis Aficionados - January 24, 2024