Last Updated on January 11, 2023
Dating can be hard for Bostonian singles. While it is true that there are many singles in the city, many of the eligible bachelors and bachelorettes who reside in Beantown just don’t seem to get out to mix and mingle.
Why? Well, for one thing, many singles are professionals, and their careers take up so much of their time. For another, the weather in Boston can be problematic. For at least half of the year, the weather is absolutely icy. Let’s be honest; no one feels like hitting the bars, clubs, or venues in subzero temps. When the snow piles high, many of the venues even shut down.
So, as dating in Boston can be a challenge, how does one go about dating in The Cradle of Liberty? We’re glad you asked because the answer to that question is simple: dating apps! There are literally dozens of dating apps that Boston singles can use to meet bachelors and bachelorettes. There’s just one problem: finding the best one.
Determining which dating app is the best in The City on the Hill is no easy task. That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you. We’ve weighed up the features, customer reviews, and results of the most popular apps on the market.
Let’s dive in and take a look at the best dating apps in Boston.
Don’t have time to read the complete article? Checkout our favorite picks below.
1st - Ashley Madison
2nd - Adult FriendFinder
3rd - Bang Locals
- Best Dating Apps in Boston
- How to Choose a Good Dating App for Boston?
Best Dating Apps in Boston
Best Overall: Adult FriendFinder
- Free sign-up. There are many free features for members, as well as a paid option.
- Huge number of users. You will be spoilt for choice in Boston.
- Great for casual encounters. The site is upfront about being for casual dates and hookups.
- Some fake accounts. Bots and spam profiles mean some options are not legit.
- Ads. The ads can be annoying when browsing potential dates.
- Limited free version. To unlock the premium features, you will need to pay.
The best app for casual dates, hookups, and flings. We think this is perfect for a bustling city like Boston, as the huge number of users allows you to try many dates on for size before committing to just one. Get a date the same night with the fast-matching service, and explore Boston’s nightlife, music venues, and other activities with someone new. Adult FriendFinder is simple to use, and it has free and paid options.
Best For Having Affairs: Ashley Madison
- Privacy. Excellent privacy and encrypted data.
- Open-minded dating. Open to affairs, sexuality, and kinks.
- Easy to use. Intuitive interface that is simple to navigate.
- Big user-base. Many members are based in Boston.
- Pricing structures. Only free for women
If you want to date discretely, Ashley Madison takes your privacy seriously. Created at first for people having affairs, Ashley Madison encrypts messages and keeps your dating endeavors under wraps. With many users, you can tap into Boston’s pool of bachelors or even those looking for a way out of unhappy relationships.
Ashley Madison is an open-minded and judgment-free dating app, so if you have any kinks or desires, you can freely express them here.
Best For Serious Relationships: eHarmony
- Large user-base. There are more than 66 million members, and about 16 million of those users are active on a weekly basis.
- Long-term relationship focus. eHarmony was specifically designed for singles who are seeking long-term, committed relationships.
- Science-backed. Matching algorithms, questions, etc., are driven by science.
- New daily matches. Users receive a new crop of potential matches each and every day.
- High success rate. More than 600,000 married couples started out on eHarmony, and the number continues to grow at an unprecedented rate of about 500 per day.
- Lengthy sign-up process. The detailed sign-up process is intended to collect the most accurate information to improve the chances of successful matches; however, it’s lengthy, which can be a big turn-off for some.
- Not intended for casual dating. While it is possible to find casual hookups on eHarmony, connecting singles who are looking for meaningful, long-term relationships is the goal of the site.
- Can’t search specific profiles. You don’t have a lot of control over the profiles that you see, as there’s no search function.
- Limited free features. To take full advantage of the app, you will need to purchase a membership, which can get costly.
Considered one of the juggernauts of the online dating world, eHarmony largely caters to singles who are looking for long-term, meaningful, committed relationships, so if that applies to you, then this might just be the dating app for you; however, there are also opportunities to meet singles who are looking for just want to have fun and are looking for more casual relationships.
eHarmony was founded back in 2000 by a clinical psychologist named Neil Clark Warren. Warren applied his expertise to devise the questionnaires and matching algorithms inbuilt into the app. With more than 20 years of experience, it’s safe to say that eHarmony has worked out the kinks and has really perfected digital dating.
Available on both iOS and Android, eHarmony is widely accessible to singles throughout the Boston area. The compatibility system the app uses matches users according to their core traits, as well as their values, and on top of that, takes shared common interests into consideration.
The eHarmony app tries to connect users whose personalities are well-suited and share specific characteristics that are commonly associated with happy couples. eHarmony also features advanced location software, so it can pinpoint other users who are within close proximity to you.
eHarmony is really popular in Boston. In fact, more than 30 million Bostonians are active users on the site. Given the fact that an estimated 70 percent of users meet their future spouses within one year of using the app and that it’s pretty easy to use, it’s easy to see why eHarmony is such a big hit among Boston singles.
Best Paid: Match.com
- Large user base. More than 39 million singles use Match.com, most of whom fall between the ages of 30 to 49; however, a recent report stated that the 50+ demographic was rapidly growing.
- Long-standing history. Match was launched in 1995, making it one of the oldest online dating websites.
- Simple to use. The app is very easy to use, and even the most technologically un-savvy should be able to use it with ease.
- Profile visibility. You have the option to see all profile photos before purchasing a premium membership.
- Anonymous browsing. Premium members can browse the app anonymously, and they can use instant messaging, too.
- Profile issues. Unfortunately, fake profiles and bots are a pretty regular occurrence on Match.com.
- More men than women. The user base isn’t very even, as there are markedly more male registered members than female.
- No refunds. If you aren’t happy after you purchase a membership, you can’t get a refund.
Owned by Match Group, Match.com is Dallas, Texas-based online dating app and website. It was launched back in 1995, making it one of the original digital dating platforms. Since its creation, the self-proclaimed #1 dating app has helped millions of singles meet new people and find love.
The site caters to both those who are interested in casual dating, as well as those who are seeking serious, long-term, committed relationships, making it the perfect option for Boston singles who are at the crossroads of wanting a meaningful relationship and casual dating or even just hookups.
The success of Match.com is based on the fact that the site uses a really simple strategy to match singles. The site bases user compatibility on really basic information, such as religion, interests, professional, body type, hobbies, and relationship status.
That being said, while Match.com is one of the most popular and well-known dating apps in Boston, in our opinion, it isn’t the best. It’s a hybrid dating app, as it uses both swiping and traditional catalog/profile-type dating. After you join the site, create a profile, and upload photos.
There are two ways that you can meet other Beantown singles:
- You can head to the search area and browse through a complete list of users who meet your criteria, and if you find someone who sparks your fancy, send them a message.
- You can head to the Discover tab, the swipe-style kind of dating, like Tinder. If you and another user have expressed interest in one another, the app will send you a notification that you have a mutual match. Unlike Tinder, however, on Match.com, you don’t have to be a mutual match to send other users messages.
Match.com really is easy to use, which is a big plus, especially for Boston singles who just don’t have the time or patience to deal with complicated dating sites or who don’t have the tech know-how to do so.
The search function is a great tool, too. When you click on it, you’re directed to a grid view of all of your matches, and you’ll have loads of options to sort and search through. You can change the age and/or location parameters as you’d like.
There are also a variety of ways that you can sort through your matches, including:
- Match Picks, which is the Match.com method of showing users their matches
- Activity Date, which shows you which users were most recently active on the site
- Newest First, which allows you to see the newest members
- Photon Count, which shows you the users who have uploaded the most pictures
- Distance, which shows you how far users are from your home base or from the location you searched
- Reverse match, which shows you users who are seeking someone like you
- Mutual match, which shows you the profiles of users that you have liked and who have also liked you
You can use matching preferences to influence the list of matches you receive, too. In other words, there are loads of ways that you can use Match.com to search through all of your matches on the app. A lot of Boston singles use Match.com to meet other singles. Considering its ease of use and the numerous ways that you can find and sort through matches, it’s no wonder why.
Best For Christian Singles: Christian Mingle
- Large user base. There are more than 15 million Christian singles who have accounts on Christian Mingle, and a large percentage are active on a regular basis.
- Easy to use. The design and layout of the app are simple, and it’s easy to use and interact with.
- Search options. There are lots of different ways to search for other Christian singles on the app.
- LookBook. The app features a LookBook swipe-style feature, which adds to its ease of use.
- Loading issues. Some users have reported that the site loads slowly during peak times.
- No customer support hotline. If you need customer service, you can’t call; you have to send them an email.
- So-so profiles. The profiles aren’t as detailed as they are on other dating apps.
If you’re a faith-minded individual Bostonian who is seeking a meaningful, long-term relationship with other faith-minded Bostonians, then Christian Mingle is definitely an option to consider. This iOS and Android dating app is very popular among Christians who live in the Boston area.
In fact, it’s actually one of the top dating apps for Christians everywhere. The design of the app is visually pleasing, simple, and easy to use. You can jump right in and start using the app without any confusion immediately after you create an account.
The way matches are laid out on Christian Mingles is great. The site uses a grid fashion to display user profiles, and as you scroll down the page, the profiles constantly refresh. You can see a user’s main profile picture with additional details, and you can opt to click on one to see more, or you can keep on scrolling. It really is that easy.
The problem, however, is that a lot of the top matches provided on Christian Mingle aren’t active for a long time. Many users have reported that their top matches had not logged in to the site for a year or so.
That’s why it’s a good thing that there’s an “Online Now” tab, which filters out matches that are literally based on who is online while you are, which helps to ease the issue with inactive profiles a bit.
Christians of all denominations are welcomed on – and who actively use – Christian Mingle. The following affiliations are available when you create your profile:
- Southern Baptist
- Seventh-day Adventist
If any of the above-mentioned Christian denominations describe you and you are looking for a relationship with other like-minded individuals who share the same goals, beliefs, and faith, then Christian Mingle might be the right choice for you.
Best Matchmaking Process: Coffee Meets Bagel
- Custom matches. Coffee meets bagels uses compatibility algorithms to offer custom matching for its user base.
- Daily updates. Users are provided with a reasonable amount of singles on a daily basis.
- Managed messaging. You’ll only receive messages from users whose profiles you have liked, which means that your inbox won’t overflow with photos that you don’t want or pickup lines that you don’t need.
- App currency. Coffee meets bagel offers users the opportunity to earn currency through different activities.
- Limited matches. While you do get daily updates, you only get five matches a day, which can make the process of finding a match feel like it’s going slower than you might like.
- Uneven user base. The split of male vs. female isn’t even, as about 60 percent of the users on the app are female.
- Subpar matching algorithm. The matching algorithm that Coffee Meets Bagel uses isn’t as robust or effective as the algorithms that a lot of other dating websites, such as the other apps on this list, use.
If you’re a busy Bostonian, but you still want to put yourself out there, then Coffee Meets Bagel might be the right option for you.
What makes Coffee Meets Bagel different from other types of dating apps includes the following:
- User intent. The majority of users on this dating app are looking for serious relationships, not casual hookups or flings (an estimated 90+ percent). If you’re a busy Bostonian single who is looking for a serious relationship and you’re tired of getting matched with singles who are just looking for a fling or a casual relationship, then this is definitely a plus for you.
- Matchmaking process. While other sites, like eHarmony, are also geared toward users who are looking for serious relationships, users are responsible for making their own matches. With Coffee Meets Bagel, that isn’t the case. The site uses algorithms to give you a selection of potential matches on a daily basis, and you can choose from those matches. The concept is that you will encounter fewer singles who don’t share common interests and goals.
How to Choose a Good Dating App for Boston?
We have some simple solutions to suggest when choosing the right app.
- First and foremost, you want to make sure that you’re using a location-specific dating app. According to the most recent census data, about 70,000 people live in B-Town. Many of them are singles from South Boston to Charleston and every neighborhood in between.
- Additionally, make sure you check the features of each app to see if they align with your wants and desires.
- Finally, look at customer reviews. Do people use this app in Boston? Is it easy to use? Is it compatible with your device?
If you’re a single who lives in or around Boston and you’re looking for other singles, check out the above-mentioned apps. While there are lots of online dating apps, the four apps highlighted here are a cut above the rest and offer options for singles who are looking for both serious, long-term, committed relationships, as well as those who are looking for short-term flings or casual relationships.
- 8 Red Flags & Signs He Doesn’t Care About You (And What To Do About It) - December 28, 2022
- 6 Strong Signs He’ll Never Marry You & Taking You For Granted - December 28, 2022
- Dating a Celebrity: Pros, Cons & Helpful Relationship Advice - December 28, 2022